A few days ago an industrial chemical, 4-methylcyclohexane methanol, or Crude MCHM, leaked into the Elk River near Charleston, West Virginia. I spent half of my childhood living in Charleston and still have many friends in the area.
This morning one of my close friends shared this video of her husband igniting their tap water. I've seen videos like this before, usually in regards to nearby fracking and contamination of the groundwater that local wells pull from, but this is tap water coming from a municipal water treatment facility! This is the result of the chemical spill into the Elk River. I personally know the people who filmed this video. I can assure you that this is real!
Over 300,000 people in the counties surrounding Charleston, WV have been left with tap water that is unsafe for any use! This is the result of irresponsibility on the part of Freedom Industries, the company that allowed this leak to occur. Please share this information and the video with your friends and family...we need to hold Freedom Industries responsible for this incident and the danger the people of West Virginia face!
This is simply unacceptable. I'm worried for all of my friends affected by this contaminated water. I worry about the long-term affects of this spill. I'm especially worried because it took hours before the spill was reported and residents were warned not to use the water.
I'm asking you to please share this video and information about this chemical spill far and wide...
Read CNN coverage of the chemical spill by clicking here.
Wall Street Journal coverage - click here.